50 Things To Do In My 50th Year
EDIT: Added #46 to the list. Thanks for the reminder, Linda Ellen! 😎
I’m turning 50 in about two weeks. No, I’m not ashamed to admit it and I’m not dreading it, although I am noticing the passage of time a bit more now than I did when I was turning 40.
Since making it to the half-century mark seems like a fairly significant achievement, I decided to celebrate the occasion by making a list of 50 things I’d like to do in my 50th year. The plan is to start working on the list on my birthday (June 15th) and to check off an item every week or so until June 14, 2016. Yes, that’s 52 weeks to finish a 50-item to-do list. What could possibly go wrong?
I’ll document my adventures here on the blog, but I’d like to start by posting the entire list. The items are listed in the order they occurred to me, not in the order I hope to accomplish them. Also, some of the items will be easier to accomplish than others, so while I hope to do one per week, I may need to be flexible with my scheduling.
50 THINGS TO DO IN MY 50TH YEAR
1. Visit Scorpion Ranch campground on Santa Rosa Island
2. Visit the Getty Villa
3. Get a power band tattoo
4. Build a really big Lego model
5. Make 50 items to donate to charity (probably baby hats)
6. Sew an article of clothing I can wear out of the house
7. Have an indulgent spa day
8. Get a massage
9. Pet a giraffe
10. Buy a bicycle and start riding regularly
11. Go to a tango milonga
12. Spend a weekend on Catalina Island
13. Eat dinner at Napa Rose restaurant
14. Finish and publish my two in-progress novels
15. Walk a labyrinth
16. Learn to crochet granny squares and connect them to make something bigger
17. Set up a regular altar for year-round use
18. Eat at The Melting Pot fondue restaurant in T.O.
19. Find a fancy chocolate tasting place and go to a tasting
20. Get a facial
21. Do the wine trail in Ventura Co.
22. Visit the olive oil place in Ventura/Ojai
23. Go to The Painted Cabernet and complete a project
24. Stay at the Madonna Inn
25. Visit Palm Springs
26. Go to LaBrea Tar Pits
27. Go to the Griffith Observatory
28. Complete a “girlie” mud run
29. Go to Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor and eat something big
30. Donate $50 as random acts of kindness (pay it forward, leave money at vending machines, etc.
31. Walk/hike 50 miles all at once (okay, maybe over a long weekend)
32. Take a helicopter ride
33. Sail on Hawaiian Chieftain/Lady Washington
34. Finish will, advanced directive, body donation arrangements, etc.
35. Have tea at a fancy tea house
36. Do a 24-hour juice cleanse/fast
37. Visit Forest Lawn in Glendale
38. Purchase a piece of jewelry for me
39. Get a mani/pedi
40. Learn to make jelly/jam/marmalade with my canning rig
41. Visit the Time Travel Mart in Echo Park or Venice
42. Take a gondola ride in Seabridge Harbor
43. Visit Rabbit Run Meadery in Santa Clara for a tasting
44. Do the skyscraper stair run in Oxnard in June 2016
45. Visit Meditation Mount in Ojai
46. Visit Tienda Ho in Santa Barbara and buy something
Okay, let’s address some FAQs:
There are only 45 items on your list? Aren’t there supposed to be 50?
Why yes, you are correct. I’m short a few items, but I have plenty to get me started and I have no doubt I’ll think of a few more to fill out the list. If you have any suggestions, post them in the comments!
You’ve never done (insert item number here)?
Either I’ve never done it or I haven’t done it in a really long time and want to do it again. That’s why it’s on the list!
Why is (insert item number here) on your list?/You really want to do (insert item number here)?
This is my list. It may have things on it you don’t want to do. That’s okay. Your mileage may vary, as they say. What is on your list?
Is this your bucket list?
Some of the items are from my bucket list, but this is not my “official” bucket list.